Extra Bonus: Receive a free Terra Cotta Car Diffuser ($20 value) with the purchase of the set.
• If your skin or hair has been suffering this wintery season, enjoy 25% off our plant-based beauty aromatherapy blends.
• Also in this issue, read about research confirming the healing properties of Neroli essential oil. I also discuss the therapeutic uses of Neroli hydrosol.
• I will be co-presenting a workshop about the ins and outs of handcrafting with Susan (Two Rivers Market manager) at the Guelph Tool Library. If you are a hand-crafter and would like to attend, please email me.
Fresh•On: Our all-natural spray deodorant contains the same components of natural potassium alum as the famous deodorant stone! Now in an easy-to-apply spray!
Fresh•On neutralizes the bacteria that cause odour.
• 24 Hour Protection • Aluminum Free • Non-Staining • Hypoallergenic • Gentle on skin • Safe to Use Daily • No Chemical Propellants
Fresh•On is unscented. You can easily customize it with one of our essential oil scents — Your choice!
Here’s how: Add your choice of essential oils. Use a reliable reference source to determine the safety of your chosen essential oils. Add 3-6 drops to 60 ml and 6-12 drops to 118 ml. Shake well before each use.
Directions: Pump 2-6 sprays under each clean & dry arm, on feet or in shoes. Can be used as a body or room deodorizer.
Those with a formal education in the safe use of essential oils are knowledgeable about the ‘phototoxicity‘ of some essential oils, especially those in the Rutaceae plant family.
With the warmer weather and as we are spending more time outside, check to see which essential oils are in your skincare products. Tisserand & Young (2014, Essential Oil Safety, second edition) and the relevant scientific literature discuss these 5 essential oils. Check your skincare product ingredient lists for these essential oils:
Tisserand & Young’s safety protocols refer to expressed fruit peels and not distilled (lime can now be found distilled) or rectified (you can find bergaptene-free bergamot). These safety guidelines also apply to anyone using a tanning bed. Avoid the sun and tanning beds for 12 hours after application of phototoxic essential oils over the recommended safe concentration level.
Maximum dermal use level to avoid phototoxic reactivity (Tisserand & Young, 2014):
• Grapefruit: blend at 4% or less
• Lemon: blend at 2% or less
• Lime: blend at 0.7% or less
• Bitter Orange: blend at 1.25% or less
• Bergamot: blend at 0.5% or less (Butje’s recommendation only)
The general safety guideline is avoid sunlight and tanning beds for a minimum of 12 hours after topical application of phototoxic essential oils (Canadian Federation of Aromatherapy). Personally, to stay absolutely safe, I avoid using these essential oils in my skincare products during the summer and am cautious during the colder months.