The essential oil of Sandalwood comes from the heartwood of the Sandalwood tree and traditionally came out of India. Unfortunately, Indian Sandalwood is now an endangered species. I currently carry Sandalwood from Australia – from sustainable sources.
Sandalwood essential oil (SAO) has a ‘sister’ in the form of a hydrosol. Sandalwood hydrosol is the co-product of the distillation process that extracts the essential oil from the heartwood. The hydrosol is very gentle and very easy to use.
Robert Tisserand is a well known researcher in the field of aromatherapy. In his article on Sandalwood, he reviews the scientific literature on the many uses of SAO.
• Skin Healing: antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Conditions – eczema, psoriasis
• Cancer patients suffering with radiodermatitis found relief using a topical blend that included Sandalwood and Turmeric
• Topical infections including yeast infections, cold sores, acne, warts.
• Skin cancer — research to date has not been on humans, and limited to in vitro and animal testing, but with encouraging results. Though not an anticancer essential oil, it has promise as a preventative measure.
“Clinical studies are ongoing, and show promise in the treatment of facial acne, common warts, psoriasis, radiodermatitis, molluscum contagiosum and eczema. Concentrations varying from 2% to 10% (up to 100% for common warts) have been used in a variety of excipients. Other skin conditions that may be amenable to SAO therapy include cold sores, sensitive skin, rosacea, genital warts, skin cancers, and fungal infections such as onychomycosis, diaper rash and athlete’s foot.’ (retrieved March 21, 2019). Read Tisserand’s article here.
Sandalwood Hydrosol also has many uses, as described by Suzann Caddy in her wonderful book, Hydrosols: The Next Aromatherapy (2001). She states: ‘Topically it is exceptional in skin care” (p. 131), including:
Caddy recommends blending Sandalwood Hydrosol with other hydrosols for a synergistic blend, customized to your particular skin type. From a spiritual perspective, use Sandalwood Hydrosol before your yoga and meditation practices.
Extra Bonus: Receive a free Terra Cotta Car Diffuser ($20 value) with the purchase of the set.
• If your skin or hair has been suffering this wintery season, enjoy 25% off our plant-based beauty aromatherapy blends.
• Also in this issue, read about research confirming the healing properties of Neroli essential oil. I also discuss the therapeutic uses of Neroli hydrosol.
• I will be co-presenting a workshop about the ins and outs of handcrafting with Susan (Two Rivers Market manager) at the Guelph Tool Library. If you are a hand-crafter and would like to attend, please email me.